Friday, November 23, 2007

Autism and Special Needs Students Need Some Choices, Especially in Rural Areas

Living in a small town does not allow for many choices. If I want groceries, I must shop at the local store, if I want my car serviced, there is one option, when I am sick or need a doctor, a few choices are available. However, when I make those choices, I am aware that if I wanted a better selection of food or a specialized job my mechanic may not be able to perform, or a second medical opinion, I can make the drive to another town or city. I have these choices and I am grateful for that. Something as trivial as groceries, I have the choice. Yet, when it comes to my children’s education, I am not that blessed. I have three healthy children with a quest for knowledge. Two of my children are satisfied and excelling in their schools. However, my third child suffers from autism and is struggling.

According to the Department of Education, every child deserves a ‘free appropriate public education’. It also clearly establishes the laws for children with disabilities and how those cases should be handled. My child needs an IEP (Individualized Education Program) but he is not receiving this. Our school is not equipped to handle his educational needs. Unfortunately, they say he cannot transfer to the district next door. I am willing the make the drive back and forth everyday if they would accept him; even though the government says the school should pay for this.

According to the Center for Disease Control, 1 in every 150 eight year olds in the U.S. has autism. Most of those children need special educational services. Schools should be held responsible for making sure this is happening. If one district cannot provide the services a child needs, then a transfer to another district should be arranged. These children have a chance at being successful in their lives, but only if they have the proper foundation to build on. As a parent, I should have the choice to move my child to another school when I know things would be better.

No comments: